Frequently Asked Questions


To help you understand the cover provided by the policy a little better, we have answered the questions we are regularly asked. Please click on the question to reveal the answer.

The committee would be covered but our requirements are that the use of the equipment meets the industry and regulatory requirement, and is appropriately risk assessed and supervised.
Specific Health and Safety guidance relating to the use of inflatable play equipment can be found at

The committee would be covered for the supervision of an inflatable, however you should ensure the provider of the equipment provide you with adequate training and instruction in the correct use and supervision. You should also ensure the provider of the equipment has adequate Public Liability insurance.

The individual/organisation who owns the animal should have their own insurance. Sufficient risk assessment should be carried out be the individual/organisation prior to the event to check safety equipment, suitability of animals etc.

Owners of animals are responsible for the supervision and handling of their animals. We would suggest the owners have their own Public Liability insurance. They may find they have Personal Liability cover under a Home or Pet insurance policy.

We would expect any animal deemed dangerous or unsuitable to be excluded from the event.

A risk assessment of the activity should be carried out. If the committee is held responsible for injury to a third party or damage to property due to the presence of an animal the policy would cover the committee.

Should a display company be responsible for causing injury to a person or damage to property, they would be responsible for picking up any insurance claim.

Your committee should ensure the display company has adequate Public Liability Insurance, ideally at least £10million, that’s in place on the date of your event.

If the display company doesn’t have adequate insurance in place, your committee may be liable as organisers of the overall event. If this should happen your committee would be covered.

The policy will cover the committee for any losses which they are held responsible for, should an incident occur when a committee member or volunteer is setting off a firework.
The committee should ensure they conduct a full written risk assessment and comply with guidance from Health and Safety Executive and industry guidance.

Health and Safety Executive Guidance can be found at

The policy provides cover to the committee for injury caused by the provision of food and other products. It makes no difference to the cover if the food is made by the committee or if the committee have purchased the food from a third party.

The preparation an provision of food should be covered under the Risk Assessment. More information can be found at

The policy does not provide event cancellation cover.

We do not provide guidance or set minimum levels of first aid coverage as this decision should be driven by you as part of your risk assessment. Factors such as the number of attendees and what type of events or attractions are taking place should be considered.

If the First Aiders used are volunteers of the committee they would be covered by the policy.

Once a Large Event Proposal form has been completed the event will be reviewed. Based on the size of event and type of activities taking place an additional premium will be charged.

Some activities increase the risk of an accident occurring e.g. provision of alcohol, fireworks, inflatable play equipment etc. These factors will affect the additional premium required.

An event being organised by your committee is automatically covered under the policy if there are fewer than 750 attendees expected to be present at any one time.

We do require you to conduct a full written risk assessment and complete with guidance from Health and Safety Executive and/or industry regulations which may apply.

If you anticipate more than 750 people you will need to complete a Large Event Proposal form – please click here to access the form.

Most village halls and community buildings depend on hiring fees for survival. If your building is damaged due to and insured peril e.g. fire or flood and you are unable to open as normal you may want to consider insuring against lost income. The sum insured would need to reflect the amount of income that may be lost over the period it takes to repair/rebuild the building.

Car parks and pavements are included within the definition of buildings and covered by the policy as long as the reinstatement cost is included within the buildings sum insured. A claim could be made for damage as long as the damage was caused by an insured peril.
Public Liability cover is extended to cover car parks, The committee have a duty to maintain the external areas and ensure they are lit where appropriate. If a vehicle in the car park is damaged it would only be covered if it were proved that the damage was caused as a result of negligence from the committee.

If despite all the committees bests efforts there is still an accident resulting in injury, loss or damage to property or financial loss to a third party, public liability insurance can provide cover against resulting claims. This is the case whether the claim is made against the village hall as a legal entity or against the village halls trustees, employees or volunteers.

You are not legally required to have Public Liability cover and so a certificate isn’t issued. We can however issue a To Whom It May Concern letter which confirm that you have Public Liability cover, the limit of indemnity and the dates cover is in place. This letter can be displayed or provided if you are asked to prove you have cover.

A 3 year Long Term Undertaking entitles you to a discount – there is no obligation to take cover for more than 12 months but if you agree to an LTU your rate will not increase, other than the index linking of sum insured, changes instructed by yourselves or rises in the tax rate.

If your committee employs staff it is a legal requirement under Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 that you insure against liability for injury, death or disease to their employees arising out of their employment. A committee may unknowingly be classed as an employer in law e.g. a person who regularly cleans the hall and receives and honorarium or a person who cleans the hall and is paid a small amount cash in hand may technically be classed as a employee.

A volunteer is an person carrying out work on behalf of the committee who is not being paid for their services. The committee may cover expenses.
This can include people who help to maintain the hall e.g. cleaning/gardening or help at an event e.g. man a stall or direct cars.
Provided the person is carrying out the activity on behalf of the committee and does not :
· have their own trading name
· have a website/Facebook page set up to promote the trading activity
· have a stall or perform at 10 or more events a year
we would class them as a volunteer.
All activities involving volunteers should be risk assessed an any industry or HSE guidance followed.

Please click here for definitions for regulated authority.

Regulated activities need to be carried out, or are likely to be carried out at least 4 times a month or overnight for them to be considered as ‘regulated activities’

Individuals who are undertaking work with children or adults that may be vulnerable, on an occasional or one-off basis cannot be the subject of a DBS check. The committee should still ensure any interaction with children forms part of a robust risk assessment.

The FAQs are intended to give some general guidance and are not considered to be a definitive. Please read the FAQS in conjunction with the Insurance Policy Summary, Policy Wording and Policy Schedule.